Website Natgasoline LLC
Job Summary / Overview
The Senior Controls Engineer primarily applies principles, knowledge, and practices of process engineering for timely identification, analysis, and resolution of process related issues to ensure safe, reliable, and cost-efficient plant operations. Utilize current and new industry developments to improve plant performance and reliability, which includes initiating and developing plant improvement modifications/projects.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions and competencies.
- Develop and implement appropriate plant/process monitoring and optimization systems.
- PID loop tuning, modifying control algorithm based on process conditions
- Develop new Basic and advanced process control schemes to support operation, production, and product quality
- Automation of reports and other operations
- Develop and generate relevant management production and consumption reports – daily, monthly, etc.
- Carry out and review Control Equipment Performance Evaluations, KPIs, decide and make recommendations to the Plant Team and Management based on these evaluations.
- Live up to the key values of the Organization and act accordingly during the whole life cycle of our human assets.
- Present a professional image at all times to co-workers, clients and vendors and maintain a positive reputation of the Organization.
- Be aware of and comply with Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Actively seek and pursue development of skills needed to progress in the field of engineering and leadership/management.
- Support and promote a pro-active HSSE culture within the Organization and develop leadership skills in HSSE.
- Monitor and improve effective HSSE management.
- Ensure all HSSE systems and procedures are adhered to.
- Perform compliance audits on SIS systems, as required, and take appropriate action to correct non-compliance and reinforce positive behaviors.
- Provide engineering support to the Operations Team in the development of guidelines to ensure plants and equipment are operated in a manner that poses no threat to the environment.
- Participate in PHA as the controls SME.
- Monitor and improve effective Incident Management Response.
- Ensure all incidents are promptly reported, participate in investigations as necessary and complete assigned tasks within the stipulated time.
- Monitor and improve effective Asset Management.
- Provide engineering support to the Operations Team in the development and routine review of guidelines and procedures to ensure Plant and equipment are operated within design limits.
- Provide engineering support to assess abnormal Plant conditions and develop guidelines to mitigate and manage these conditions.
- Collaborate with the E&I group to troubleshoot & address instrumentation issues.
- Provide process controls engineering assistance/support to the Operations Team as required.
- Provide evaluations on assigned and self-initiated tasks (identifying, analyzing, and recommending actions to address abnormal and less efficient plant parameters).
- Participate in and at times lead incident investigation teams for troubleshooting and determining root cause of plant issues/problems.
- Review and recommend changes to the plant “cause and effect matrix” to improve plant reliability and protect plant assets.
- Develop plant modifications for projects within all degrees of complexity.
- Understand and comply with the Management of Change (MOC) process.
- Participate in and lead at times the ‘What Ifs’ and HAZOP studies.
- Apply basic project management skills – cost, schedule tracking, etc.
- Be up to date with and apply state of the art developments/technologies applicable to the methanol industry, as required.
- Provide necessary process controls support to guide the timing of plant shutdowns and turnarounds.
- Provide process controls expertise on plant shutdown and turnaround activities – planning and execution phases.
- Identify projects, supported with written justification, for inclusion in capital expenditure budgets.
- Work with contractors and outside vendors/suppliers for developing project concepts, quoting, developing scope of work and cost justifications regarding projects.
- Develop special procedures that involve process controls knowledge, e.g., alarm management, control philosophy
- Develop control logics for BPCS and Safety systems (Algorithm, guidance on how to implement)
- Support implementation of BPCS and Safety logics in Yokogawa Centum VP and Prosafe RS
- Commissioning of new subsystem and integration with Yokogawa UGS via Modbus
- Commissioning of new process modifications systems
- Support operation and engineering team in troubleshooting logics
- Process Optimization
- Support full compliance to HSSE related legislation & regulations, corporate requirements, and management system(s) (i.e., operating policies and procedures).
- Assist other Departments and other administrative personnel, as necessary.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations
- None required.
Education, Experience, and/or Training
- Bachelor’s Degree in Instrumentations Engineering required.
- Minimum of Eight (8) years’ experience in Controls Engineering required.
- Extensive Yokogawa system knowledge preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Complex Problem Solving — identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking — using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Systems Evaluation — Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
Tools / Equipment
- Copy Machine
- Telephone system
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and Outlook required.
- Centum VP
- Prosafe RS
- Exaquantum PIMS
- Physical ability to work around and on industrial equipment, including frequent climbing of stairs and ladders.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in designated areas (respirator, hard hat, safety glasses, gloves, heeled boots, and hearing protection).
- Ability to lift 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Ability to sit for prolonged amounts of time required.
- Ability to effectively communicate through various means required.
- The majority of work is performed within an office environment, including office equipment – such as computers, telephones, and copiers.
- Requires passing by industrial equipment on the way to the office.
- Noise levels are typically moderate.
- May require exposure to field.
- Regular 40-hour workweek, normal duty hours as assigned.
- May work longer hours to meet deadlines, as necessary.
- Less than 10% of the time.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skill, tasks, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, Natgasoline reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as business needs arise. In compliance with ADA regulations, the employee must be able to perform essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation in a satisfactory manner, further accommodations shall not be made if it constitutes an undue hardship on this organization.